Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Monday 10 March 2014

Learn ... Create ... Share ... our first PENN video

Huge excitement in Class 20 today with our first class video appearing on PENN (Pt England News Network)!  Our topic was the alphabet, combined with finding our way around Pt England school.  The premise for the movie was developed just over two weeks ago, as we recognised that with swimming last week we'd have minimal time for filming!

I've never used iMovie before and didn't fully understand what it was capable of until I started - and I made some mistakes along the way (but that's when even more learning happened!)  The movie was filmed on the iPad (first lesson - hold the iPad horizontally when recording a video!) and completed in combination with Book Creator so the students have a book to read on their iPads to reinforce their alphabet learning (and remind them of this movie experience).

I tried to scaffold the students really well around movie making and the need to listen to directions, wait for the "action" command, and that sometimes we needed a second take .. or a third take ... or even a fourth, to get it right!

Check out Class 20's video - I'm sure we'll be watching it again in the classroom! Can you pick the scene that they loved filming the most?


No comments :

Post a Comment