Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Thursday 12 June 2014

Learning from each other ... and hearing it happen!

In maths today we were working on counting backwards from 20.  Having worked with a group for fifteen minutes, it became apparent that some learners had a stronger understanding than others.  I decided to try something a little different - pairing the learners up!  The students were using an Explain Everything project to move the numbers into order (backwards from 20) and I requested that they use their voice as they did it.

Bradley completed this example independently and I could play back his recording and see that he had a strong understanding.

< 
Next, I had Bradley and Casshuis work together - this is the result.  They each were working on their own iPads but sitting next to each other as they worked.   Its great to be able to hear both voices and see the learning which was happening.  At one stage when they had completed the countdown once, Bradley tells Casshuis "You have to do it again, because I'm doing it again" and helps him move all the numbers back to the top so he can repeat the learning.  Together, they completed the countdown five times!  I'm super excited about how this activity went - definitely something to be used again!




No comments :

Post a Comment