Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Wednesday 21 January 2015

Unpacking the SAMR model of learning

Today our Digital Enhancement paper unpacked a few different models of learning.  While I'm very aware of the SAMR model it was a great refresher today and I particularly like this image which links to Blooms taxonomy.


So often when models of learning are introduced, we don't have an opportunity to see it in action or think about how we can apply it to our own teaching practice.  One of the practical activities we had an opportunity to explore today involved revamping a suggested lesson to incorporate a digital transformation - definitely a case of many teachers heads can come up with some amazing ideas!

At times I think I struggle to achieve at the transformation level with my five year olds - I often think that the same activity could be completed with paper and pens, although would definitely not be as engaging.  I was reminded today however, that adding the video and audio components allows for the learning to be visible, even after it has occurred - and this can't be achieved with simple pens and paper.  I'm re-energised about extending my planning and aiming for more transformational learning in 2015!

As we pass the halfway point of our week of lectures, I'm impressed by the content and the purposeful activities which we undertake to help us cement the learning.  We have had some amazing discussions and its great to get an insight into others thinking, planning and teaching pedagogy!

No comments :

Post a Comment