Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Friday 20 March 2015

Reinforcing HFWs


One of the things I really love about Explain Everything is that you can use it in so many different ways, limited only by imagination!  I identified a need for my learners to remember High Frequency Words as many are being held back in reading because they are unable to identify words such as "the" and "is".

I've decided to focus on three words each week with my learners and these are our "Star Words" for the week - we go over them multiple times a day and learners receive rewards for reading them when asked throughout the day - needless to say, they are always keen to be asked!

To further reinforce these words I've created an Explain Everything project which learners complete as part of our reading rotation.  We unpacked the project as a whole class earlier in the week and then all did it together - now they are able to complete it independently as part of the reading rotation and already, after just two days I've noticed an improvement in their reading when the star words are encountered!

Find the letters to make the word "the"


Write the word "the" three times




The last slide where a learner has to say the words

No comments :

Post a Comment